Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wed., April 16 and Thurs., April 17

Wow! It's the last VA Day! Hey hey hey! Had a very interesting pt all day. There was a cancellation in the PM, so as I hadn't finished him in the AM, he came in the PM also. He went about in a wheelchair due to leg problems, and he preferred to travel backwards. He hadn't eaten or taken his diabetes med. that day, and he said he hadn't slept in about 4 days due to his meds and sleep problems. Brother! He'd driven in from Logan, so before he left Diane and I made sure he had some food and drink. He said his doc is trying to get his diabetes under control, but his blood sugar often is very high. He also had a dx for major depression, so according to him "depression has taken over my life."
By the PM, he was talking with enthusiasm about his great love, scuba diving. He required LA AM and PM, and had 2 quads of a II and 2 of a III. He seemed receptive to OHI, and I hope he follows through.
My WSU AM pt was my "perio project" pt. I'd last seen her in Nov. Ah, what a difference for me (and hopefully for her!). She is a class III, 82 years young, and always looks elegant when she comes in. Her pockets showed no worsening though there were more suspicious areas and despite her report of TBing and flossing there was more plaque than I'd like to see. So, gave her some OHI customized for her situation, and I hope it helps. It's tough to get old.
My PM pt was a class V and had had a cleaning at her DDS in Dec. That, added to her home care, obviously had made a big difference, showing in reduction of pocket depths and almost no bleeding. Due to her medical issues, she is trying to stay on a regimen of cleanings every 3 months. She really likes WSU clinic, not only because of the price but because of the professionalism of the students.

No comments: