Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Dreaded 2nd Mockboard!

The stress was thick in the air this day as people were awaiting their trial by mockboard. I was scheduled for the PM, so I could be a bit more detached in the AM. At least 2 pts. didn't show, so we had lots of help, but I felt badly for those whose pts. didn't come. I tried to encourage where I could, reminding them that only 10 points were at stake, and more experiences were to come.

My pt showed up on time (as usual). As I began the cleaning I felt a little nervous, which is unusual for me. I began with the ultrasonic, which I'd planned, but as I worked I began to stress over whether I'd be able to get that interproximal calculus. Last semester I'd missed a slew of these areas, and with an older pt. (like this lady) it could be more difficult feeling for calc. because of the surface irregularities, restorations, etc. Anyway, I went over the whole UR quad. with my ultrasonic, hand instruments, and ultrasonic again. Interestingly, during the second ultrasonic pass I spent more time interproximally, using different patterns, and was surprised but pleased to see a few large pieces of calc. come floating out. Then, I used my explorer and checked and rechecked. My pt bled a lot, so after using floss I put cold 2 x 2s on her tissue. Next time I may have some saline solution on hand.
Then I did her extra-, intraoral exam, probing, and paperwork, took her to the front and did that waiting thing. I felt hopeful about passing when I was told I'd missed only one spot: M/L #4. So, I went to work, got it, and did some OHI with my pt. before she left. Later, I was thrilled to find I'd passed with an 85! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeha!

It's great to know I'm improving! Yes!


No comments: