Monday, March 17, 2008

Thurs. Feb.28

Oh boy, it's mockboard time for local anesthesia!
I'd thought ahead on this one, and my pt. was a fellow student, Russ. It was great not having to worry about someone not showing up.
Everything was going well until I said "I'm at penetration site" and I heard "Stop and hold."
I'd been so intent on putting the needle into the correct area that my wrist rotated leaving the BIG WINDOW down. Poo!
Well, it was an excellent experience because I was able to practice and complete both injections as well as have a real sense of all the factors involved and my need to concentrate on each one.
My PM pt. no-showed, which was the first time that had happened all year. Fortunately, a pt. was available in the waiting area, so I took the 16 y.o. male thinking he would be another IB. Since I took him in later and he had never had any X-rays in his life, his mom OK'd a full mouth series. There was visible calculus on the radiographs. Something I will be sure to do in the future is look inside pt's mouth before doing X-rays. This pt. had no problem other than a minor gag reflex, but he could have had tori or something else. For some reason I'd gotten out of the habit of doing an intraoral before X-rays, but on reflecting I think in the future I'll make sure I look in the mouth before taking radiographs. I rescheduled him for cleaning the next week.

No comments: